Monday 25 December 2017

Neniben Marwadi is my best buddy…

Kamlesh Marwadi searching picture of his buggy in his
mobile to show to Mittal Patel.
Neniben is older to me but, I have the right to scold her to which she would quietly listen and whenever she is at the office, “Ben, I cannot do without you!!” she would tell me as matter of fact!!

Neniben Marwadi and his son Kamlesh Marwadi giving
wedding invitation to Mittal Patel in form of rice
Neniben lost her husband at a very young age, she was 22 years old and was left with the responsibility of raising 3 children. After the death of her husband the relatives helped and pitched in for some time but, it was natural they weren’t going to stay long. Neniben took up sewing to support her family. To raise her income, Neniben decided to travel to Hyderabad and sell her clothing amidst her own community there. This was a bold move for someone who had never stepped out of her home alone. But, once she set out all her worries were laid to rest and she gradually gained confidence and began earning well. Her savings enabled her to construct a decent home. She took an interest free loan from Kalupur Commercial Bank to grow her business further. As her two elder children gained marriageable age she married them as well.

“Ben, we are marrying our youngest son Kamlesh. I want you to remain present in the procession we are taking out to celebrate his wedding (you can see him searching his mobile to show me the picture of his buggy) and you will wear our traditional Marwadi dress and sit next to him in the buggy.”

“Let me know once you have fixed the exact date and time, I will remain present!” I had confirmed.

Today,  Kamlesh and Neniben were at the office with the wedding invitation in form of rice (many nomadic communities do not print wedding invites but extend invitation by offering us colorful grains of rice, as seen in picture).  The wedding was on 22nd and 23rd November. I expressed my inability to remain present because of the intense pressure of work. 

“Ben, let me shift the procession on Sunday the 19th so that you can remain present. I want you to remain present in the wedding. Whatever I am is because of you and I cannot celebrate this occasion if you are not a part of it!!” It is deeply humbling when individuals like Neniben shower so much love and respect but I requested her to continue as schedule.

I am often asked, “Why do I do what I do? What do I gain from it?” TO which I always say, “I get to enjoy the love and warmth of thousands like Neniben which, to me is priceless!!”

નેનીબેન મારવાડી #દેવીપૂજક મારા પાક્કા બેનપણી..

ઉંમરમાં મારા કરતા ઘણા મોટા પણ હંમેશાં ઓફીસ આવે ત્યારે કહે, ‘મને તમારા વના ના ચાલે.’ કોઈ કારણસર લડુ તો પણ શાંતીથી સાંભળે.
બાવીસ વર્ષે વિધવા થયા. ત્રણ બાળકોની જવાબદારી માથે. નાના છોકરાં સાથે આખી જીંદગી જીવવાનું નક્કી કર્યું. પતિના મૃત્યુબાદ સગાવહાલાંએ દયા ખાધી ને અડધી રાતે મદદની જરૃર પડે તો અમે બેઠા છીએ એમ કહ્યું. પણ સમય વહેલો જાય એમ સગાવહાલાંય આઘા થતા ગયા. નેનીબહેન કપડાં સીવે ને પુરુ કરે. સ્વભાવે ગભરુ નેનીબહેન કપડાં સીવીને છેક હૈદરાબાદ એમના સમાજના લોકોની વચમાં વેચવા જવાનું નક્કી કર્યું. બહુ ગભરાયા કોઈ દિવસ એકલા નીકળેલા નહીં. ટ્રેનમાં જવાનું નક્કી કર્યું ને ગયા ને ડર ભાગ્યો. ધંધામાંથી જ બચત કરીને છાપરાંમાંથી પાકુ અને એય ધાબાવાળુ ઘર કર્યું. કાલુપુર બેંક અને અમેય(VSSM) ધંધો વધારા વગર વ્યાજે #લોન આપી. નેનીબેન બે પાંદળે થયા. એક દીકરા ને દીકરીને પરણાવ્યા.

નાના કમલેશના લગન લીધાને ‘બેન એનું ફુલેકુ કાઢવાનું છે (કેવી બગીમાં કમલેશ બેસવાનો એનો ફોટો બતાવવા એ મોબાઈલ ફંફોસી રહ્યો છે) તમારે ઈની હારે બગીમાં બેસવાનું છે અમારો મારવાડીનો ડ્રેસ પહેરીને’ એવું એમણે હક્કથી કહેલું. મે કહ્યું હતું મુહરત જોવડાવીને કેજો હું આવીશ. આજે ઓફીસ નેનીબહેન લગ્નની કંકોત્રી આપવા કમલેશ સાથે આવ્યા ને કંકોત્રીરૃપી ચોખા આપીને આમંત્રણ આપ્યું.(વિચરતી જાતિમાંની ઘણી જાતિઓમાં આજેય કંકોત્રી છપાતી નથી.રંગબેરંગી ચોખા આપીને લગ્નનું નિમંત્રણ અપાય છે જે ફોટોમાં દેખાય છે)
22 અને 23 નવેમ્બરે કમલેશેના લગ્ન. હું આ દિવસોમાં થરાદ એટલે નહીં આવી શકાયનું કહ્યું તો ‘બેન ફુલેકુ 19મીએ રવીવારે ફેરવી દઈએ. તમારે તો લગનમાં હાજરી આપવી જ પડે આજે જે પણ છુ એ તમારા લીધે તમારા વના મને ના ચાલે...’

એમનો પ્રેમ માથે ચડાવ્યો. ને સમજાવીને લગ્ન ને ફુલેકુ મુહરત પ્રમાણે જ કરવા કહ્યું.

પણ કેવો અદભૂત પ્રેમ.. ઘણા કહે આ કામ કેમ કરો છો? શું મળે છે? ત્યારે બસ નેનીબહેન જેવા હજારોના પ્રેમની વાત કહુ છુ ને મે આ મેળવ્યું. કિંમત કાઢી શકાતી હોય તો કાઢો મારે મન તો આ અમુલ્ય...

#VSSM #MittalPatel #NomadicTribes #MarvadiDevipoojak #NomadsOfIndia






No comments:

Post a Comment